Mothers are blessed. If you are a mother and you are reading this, may you receive a double portion of blessing.
It is such a joy to be a mother. Motherhood begins with the process of incubating a baby in the womb for about 9 months. Some children come before 9 months and others come after 9 months. In some rare cases, some come around 10 months. Such babies should be considered a miracle.
After the incubation period comes another painful and most undesirable moment for most mother. It’s called labor. For some medical or miraculous reason, some mothers do not experience labour. My wife did not experience labour during the birth of our second baby.
Labour is a period of intense pain and discomfort for every mother. In some cases, some mothers have even died in the course of labour due to unbearable pain and related causes. In the midst of intense pain comes the moment every mother dreams of: delivery. When the baby finally comes out, it brings such relief and joy to the mother. The first sound the baby makes is crying, not laughing. The cry of a baby bring such joy to its mother. probably the only time when a baby’s crying makes a mother happy. Soon after that and in the months that follow, every cry is almost undesirable for most mothers and often signifies a problem.
There are huge spiritual lessons we can learn from this experience:
- Once we are physically born into this world, we become a fetus in the womb of the Holy Spirit. Just as a bay lives in darkness in it mother’s womb, we live in darkness in the world.
- If we ever get born by the Holy Spirit, we are said to be “born-again”. When we are born again, we enter into another world: God’s Kingdom where we become spiritual babies who need to be fed and cared for so they can grow – same in the physical world.
- Before we are born again by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit also goes through an intense period of ‘labour’. A battle wages for our soul in which the Holy Spirit wages war against the spirits that are competing for our lives. To be born-again means the Holy Spirit has defeated our enemies and our will.
- Once we are born by the Spirit, we cannot grow without being fed and cared for, the same way a physical baby is fed and cared for. Think of the tenderness with which a mother cares for her baby! Without physical food, a physical baby cannot survive; in the same way, without spiritual food, a spiritual baby cannot survive. That explains why many believers are ‘dead’ in the church today.
- Just before delivery, a mother experiences the most painful and stressful moment of her life. It is often said, “the darkest part of the night is just before dawn”. It is the same with spiritual life. When your breakthrough is closest, that is when you (most of the times) experience the most intense hardship or difficulty. So, are you going through a very difficult moment? Then, know that your delivery (deliverance) is around the corner! Don’t give up or quit. If you quit, because of pain, you loose everything. You get nothing.
If you have been encouraged by this write-up, let me know by commenting below.
God bless you.
Pastor Genesis Tinshu
Buea Community Church
For photos of Mother’s Day Celebration, click here.